2016 Cordillera Blanca
Join us in the Cordillera Blanca July - August 2016!
Applications are due May 15, 2016.
Starting in July 2016, the ACSP will host our 6th annual Cordillera Blanca research expedition. Scientists, volunteers, students, and mountaineers are invited join us for a summer of research, conservation and adventure in Huascaran National Park.
This year, we will continue exploring the impacts of pollution on mountain glaciers, restoring degraded alpine tundra, monitoring water quality, surveying insect populations, and working with local communities and land managers on conservation projects.
Our expeditions are ideal for:
- Volunteers who want to trek, camp, and contribute through hands-on projects in the spectacular Cordillera Blanca while interacting with scientists, locals, and other expedition members.
- Climbers/ mountaineers who would like to help us do research up to the summits of key peaks (5000-6000 m) throughout the range.
- Students interested in getting hands-on experience in field research and graduate students looking for help facilitating their field data collection. Over the past 3 years, we have facilitated >15 undergraduate and graduate student projects.
- We also invite researches to bring new projects to our expeditions. We can plan to facilitate and support approved projects. Please contact us to get more information on research logistics in this region.
We have two types of expeditions:
(1) Trekking only- Volunteers choosing this option will participate in all research and conservation projects below glacier level.
(2) Trekking + climbing- Volunteers choosing this option will participate in all research and conservation project AND assist with high mountain research on glaciers and peaks.
Information on the schedule trips, costs, logistics, and how to apply are below. Please contact us on any specific questions. We look forward to a having great research expedition this year!