2017 Cordillera Blanca
Join us in the Cordillera Blanca June - August 2017!
Applications are due May 15, 2017.
Starting in June 2017, the ACSP will host our 7th annual Cordillera Blanca research expedition. Scientists, volunteers, students, and mountaineers are invited join us for a summer of research, conservation and adventure in Huascaran National Park.
This year, we will be exploring a new area of the Park that is rarely visited and we will continue our work exploring the impacts of pollution on mountain glacier, monitoring water quality, and working with local communities and land managers on conservation projects. This year we will also be working with ethnobotanists examining medicinal plants and climate change. We will be studying vegetation impacts of grazing and climate change. And we will be studying how the Cordillera Blanca was created and doing geologic transects across the range.
Our expeditions are ideal for:
- Volunteers who want to trek, camp, and contribute through hands-on projects in the spectacular Cordillera Blanca while interacting with scientists, locals, and other expedition members.
- Climbers/ mountaineers who would like to help us do research up to the summits of key peaks (5000-6000 m) throughout the range.
- Students interested in getting hands-on experience in field research and graduate students looking for help facilitating their field data collection. Over the past 3 years, we have facilitated >15 undergraduate and graduate student projects.
- We also invite researchers to bring new projects to our expeditions. We can plan to facilitate and support approved projects. Please contact us to get more information on research logistics in this region.
We have two types of expeditions:
(1) Trekking only- Volunteers choosing this option will participate in all research and conservation projects below glacier level.
(2) Trekking + climbing- Volunteers choosing this option will participate in all research and conservation project AND assist with high mountain research on glaciers and peaks.
Information on the schedule trips, costs, logistics, and how to apply are below. Please contact us on any specific questions. We look forward to a having great research expedition this year!